Monday, November 8, 2010

Houston?

Houston. Hoouuuston.  H-o-u-ston.

Houston.

"Where are you from?"
"Chic... I mean Houston. I live in Houston."

Houston. The 4th largest city by population in the U.S. Chicago is the 3rd largest city. So they shouldn't be that different, right?

Wrong. Oh so wrong.

Chicago is a city. An I-don't-need-a-car-to-get-around city. A public-transportation-is-amazing city.  An everyone-lives-in-apartments-or-maybe-a-townhome city.  An everything-I-need-to-survive-is-within-walking-distance city.  An all-my-friends-live-in-the-city city.  A none-of-my-friends-are-even-in-a-serious-relationship city. An I-can-get-anything-I-want-at-any-time-of-the-day city.  An I'm-never-the-only-one-on-the-sidewalk city.  An it-takes-at-least-40-minutes-to-get-to-a-suburb city.

Houston...is a giant suburb posing as a city.  I would be stranded if I didn't have a car.  I have to Google the nearest grocery store. I have to Google the nearests Starbucks.  I have to Google a running path because who needs sidewalks when you drive your F-150 everywhere?!?!

And did I mention I'm on of maybe 5 single 20-something females in the entire city? 'Cuz I am. For sure.

But I'm making it work. Or more so, I keep myself busy with work. And through work I've met my closest friends. And work took me to Buenos Aires. And Paris. And London. As you can probably guess, I moved here for work.  And I love my job...85% of the time anyway.

Of course, there is much more to life than work.  There is Wyatt.  There is family.  There is running. And there is food. Oh there is food.  But this isn't another food blog, mainly because I don't have the patience to take pictures and note the recipe when I cook or bake.  What this is, is a creative outlet for a life dominated by Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations, marathon training schedules and race registrations.  Don't expect a consistent topic or theme.  Just go with it. 

2 comments:

  1. hi i am Catees friend and she sent me this email saying i can go on it. i love wyatt and i met him only 2 times but he is so cute. i love the website.

    ReplyDelete